Sweetheart Abbey

The Abbey of Dulce Cor, also known as the Sweetheart Abbey, was a Cistercian monastery that was founded in 1275 in Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland. It is located in the village of New Abbey.

The name of the abbey was inspired by the devotion of its founder, Lady Dervorguilla. She was the wife of John Balliol.

In 1268, the Lord John Balliol of Balliol died. His widow, Lady Devorguilla of Galloway, kept his embalmed heart in an ivory casket. It was said that she carried it with her everywhere.

The church was designed in the shape of a cross. It has been divided into various sections. The east end features a presbytery, while the west and south have side-chapels. The high altar is flanked by the monks’ choir.

The bell tower can be seen from the central crossing. The church is composed of various sections. It adheres to the principles of austerity, but it has fine flourishes.

The church features various ornate features. One of these is the stone tracery in the windows of the presbytery. It shows a stone figure of Lady Devorguilla holding her deceased husband’s embalmed heart.

The site entrance is located about 90m from the car park. It is on a level tarmac road.

Getting there

Sweetheart Abbey, New Abbey, Dumfries, DG2 8BU

Telephone: 01387 850 397

What 3 Words: ///gashes.earful.pacifist

Related

Leave a Reply

Stay Connected

207FansLike
913FollowersFollow
29,016FollowersFollow
4SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

Popular

- Advertisement -

Latest